Wednesday 18 May 2016

Baby Daisy's Pram Quilt

 Once I knew we were expecting our first grandchild in August last year I wanted to knit and learn crochet and quilt and sew and ..... oooo so many things & never enough time.

Dinosaur Taggy


It has been years since I made anything for a baby or child so I thought I'd start off by making a tag toy dinosaur for friend's baby to get me going.  

I knitted a blanket, I taught myself to crochet and I made a daisy granny square blanket (each new square was an improvement on the one before) as well as a cot quilt, a pram quilt and a floor mat. I also made a double sided blanket from flannel and minky.

Today I will share the pram quilt made for my granddaughter Daisy, who was born on 11th August.
My daughter chose the fabrics, pastel mix of blues, greens, yellows and pinks. As you can see, she chose floral prints (she takes after me....floral prints are my favourite!)

A couple of  Cath Kidston & Lecien fabrics in this selection. Can you see the cute Mabel Lucie Attwell Boo print on the end?


Fabric cut into 5" squares


I decided on simple squares trying the "quilt as you go" method. It was a little fiddly making sure the fabric pulled straight and that it did not get caught as I sewed the layers together.





First two rows sewn together with wadding and backing fabric

This shows the first two rows opened out

The third row placed right side down against bottomed of second row

Once all the rows had been quilted together I had to machine quilt in the ditch through all the layers from top to bottom down each row. I chose a minty fabric with white spots for the binding.


Adding the binding




Finished pram quilt

This size quilt is quite quick to make so I made three more for other new babies born in 2015! 

Zx

No comments:

Post a Comment